Monday, January 19, 2009

*Spelling & Dictation Every Week*

One of the ways to teach learners who have English as their second or third language is by having spelling and dictation every week. You can give 5 words per week for Level 1 students - Yr 1,2 & 3 and or your Level 2 Yr 4,5 & 6 weak classes. Giving them spelling, helps them to remember the words better. So the next time they encounter the words in their textbooks or exercises, they know what the words mean.
What i did for my better class is by giving them 10 words every week. All written out on a piece of white board. I have pasted the board at the back of my class where I have my own English corner. =) All the words are taken out from the textbook. Then, I have my best student to help me write out the Chinese meanings of those words. Students must know the meanings in both languages to enhance their understanding.
So everyday when I enter the class, the students will turn their chairs to the back and read the ten words and dictation behind until the day I carry out my spelling and dictation activity. It only takes a few minutes to do so.
One week of drilling will help students to memorise and recognize words in an instant.




Program students to have Spelling Every Tuesday and Dictation Every Thursday

Ask the help of the good students to translate and write Chinese if you do not read and write Chinese (like me ;) )

Dicatation is when you read out the sentences and students write them down in their books.
Not recommended in a weak class.
So if this method works in improving students reading and proficiency in English, do let me know ;) ! Ok all the best!




1 comment:

Jon`s Parody said...

u need a besta dictionary